Study information

Students.Our aim is to provide students at Södertörn University with the best possible service and support, so this area of the website gathers practical information that we hope and believe you will find useful.

Do you want to know how to apply to higher education or when the semester starts? Do you need to contact the Student Health Service, or perhaps you are planning to become involved with a student organisation? Do you want to apply for a degree certificate but are unsure how to go about it? Many questions can arise during your studies; if you can't find the answer you need here, please contact one of our study guidance advisors or Student Support Services. They will be happy to help you.

Choose what you want to study at Södertörn University from our programmes and courses in our online prospectus.

Independent studies abroad

If you want to study at an HEI that Södertörn University does not have an exchange agreement with, you may apply independently, as a “free mover”. The difference between doing it this way and having an exchange place is that you are responsible for paying any tuition fees and you deal with all the contact with the HEI yourself.
Information is available here to support you when you apply to a foreign HEI independently.

1. Where do you want to study?

The first thing to think about is whereabouts in the world you want to study., which is a website from the Swedish Council for Higher Education, has general information about studying abroad and links to information about different countries.

2. Read about potential programmes

The best place to find out about a programme is on the HEI’s website. You can read about the programme itself and find out information about how to apply.

3. Will the programme count in Sweden?

When you have decided which HEI you would like to apply to, email and ask whether the HEI is recognised by Södertörn University. Provide the HEI’s name, place, country and website. The HEI must be recognised by Södertörn University for you to be able to transfer the credits it awards. Save the notification so you can submit it when you apply for a credit transfer.

4. Contact the HEI

When you have found a suitable HEI, it may be a good idea to contact them personally and find out the most important information. Here are some important points to help you:

  • What are the tuition fees?
  • Do they have any grants you can apply for to cover the tuition fee?
  • Can you apply for a place for one or two semesters or only entire degree programmes?
  • What documentation do you need to apply for a place?
  • When is the application deadline?

Be clear about who you are and what you want when you communicate with the HEI, e.g.:

  • if you are already studying in higher education
  • what you have previously studied (in higher education)
  • whether you want a short period of study abroad (one or two semesters) or an entire programme
  • whether you intend to graduate in Sweden (after completing your studies abroad).

5. Apply to the HEI

If you need documentation in English (e.g. that you are studying at Södertörn University), please got to your study information desk.

6. Registration during a semester abroad?

For a semester in which you are independently studying at a foreign university (i.e. not via an exchange agreement) you should not be registered at Södertörn University.

If you are a programme student you should take leave from the programme for the semester you are studying abroad, in order to have a guaranteed place for the semester that you return. It is important that your approved leave form studies is registered in Ladok, so you keep your authorisation to the university intranet and your e-mail address at Södertörn University.

If you are studying freestanding courses at Södertörn you should not be registered during your semester abroad. This means you will be unable to access the university’s intranet. Please contact Mediecenter if this is a problem.