Entry requirements: The equivalent of English B and a Bachelor's degree including a minimum of 90 credits in Environmental Science, Bioscience, Political Science, Sociology, International Health, Media and Communication Studies, or the equivalent
Selection: On the basis of previous university credits. Between 30 and 285 credits may be taken into account.
- Application AS17 week 44-48, fulltime100%, day. Application code: SH-44115
Environmental Planning for Sustainable Governance
Course 7,5 credits
This advanced course focuses on environmental planning and governance. This is a broad field that is tied together by the notion of achieving sustainable development by reconciling conflicts between ecological protection, economic development, and social equity. Environmental planning is needed in the government, non-profit and business sectors in the fields of watershed planning, marine and coastal planning, spatial analysis, land use and development of urban and peri-urban areas, among others. Students will analyse ideas and tools presented in current research as well as in local, national and international policies on environmental planning and development. The course will also provide an understanding of the theoretical background and practices of involving stakeholders in planning and natural resources policy. The course consists of lectures, seminars and case studies.
The below information comes from the syllabus and is valid from: autumn semester 2015
The course includes lectures and seminars.
Upon completion of the course, the student is able to:
- synthesise various theoretical ideas and models for processes in environmental planning that are relevant to the sustainable governance of social-ecological systems.
- define and apply the concepts of environmental assessments, adaptive governance, ecosystem services, and resilience, in relation to the governance of social-ecological systems.
- critically analyse theories of physical environmental planning in current research and in national and international policy frameworks for the implementation of sustainable governance of social-ecological systems.
- critically evaluate his/her attitudes and work in relation to different theories and ideas related to environmental science and sustainability science.
The examination consists of:
- A written exam
- Active participation including written and oral presentations
Grading criteria will be distributed at course/module start.
The above information and syllabus are based on the most recently validated decision. Any previous versions are available here.
Har du frågor kring denna kurs? Kontakta Utbildningsexpedition Naturvetenskap, miljö och teknik - MD5 så hjälper vi dig vidare.
Läs mer om vad som finns på Institutionen för naturvetenskap, miljö och teknik.
På sidorna för Studieinformation hittar du information om studier vid Södertörns högskola, anmälan och antagning, examen, att studera utomlands och mycket mer.