Study information

Students.Our aim is to provide students at Södertörn University with the best possible service and support, so this area of the website gathers practical information that we hope and believe you will find useful.

Do you want to know how to apply to higher education or when the semester starts? Do you need to contact the Student Health Service, or perhaps you are planning to become involved with a student organisation? Do you want to apply for a degree certificate but are unsure how to go about it? Many questions can arise during your studies; if you can't find the answer you need here, please contact one of our study guidance advisors or Student Support Services. They will be happy to help you.

Choose what you want to study at Södertörn University from our programmes and courses in our online prospectus.

Student insurance for studying abroad

The university has signed Kammarkollegiet’s group insurance policy, STUDENT UT, on behalf of students who are going to study or go on a traineeship abroad. It is more extensive than the normal personal injury insurance that covers studying in Sweden, as it also includes travel insurance.
The insurance is valid for specific types of studies/traineeship abroad and it is the student’s responsibility to find out whether the foreign stay is covered by the insurance policy. For information about terms and conditions, please visit Kammarkollegiet’s website.

For the group insurance policy to apply:

• There must be a written agreement on exchange or hosting between Södertörn University and a foreign HEI, company or other organisation that hosts students or trainees. This means that an agreement that has only been made by the student is not adequate. If the student is not travelling via an exchange place as part of the HEI’s general exchange agreement, a copy of the agreement for studies/traineeship abroad must be appended to the application.
• The student must also be registered in Ladok for the entire period abroad.

Routines for outgoing students:

• Students at Södertörn University are automatically insured during their period of study abroad. If you would like a certificate of insurance, please contact
• For exchange studies, you should append documentation of the semester dates that apply to the period abroad. This could be an excerpt from the host HEI’s website or correspondence between the student and the host HEI.
• For a foreign traineeship, the student must append a copy of the agreement that was drawn up between a representative from Södertörn University and the host at the foreign organisation regarding the student’s traineeship. The agreement must state the time period that applies to the student’s foreign traineeship.
• Forms and appended documentation must be submitted to the insurance officer, Ann-Louise Ebérus.

Medical insurance card:

Before the student travels abroad, he or she must have an insurance certificate and a medical insurance card from the university. These are both issued in English.
To receive a medical insurance card, it is necessary to contact the insurance officer at least a month before departure.
The insurance certificate is sent to the student in the post.

If the student has an accident that is covered by the insurance policy:

Print out, fill in and sign an injury claim.
Submit the claim and the original receipts to the university’s insurance officer to sign. The officer send the claim and other documents to Kammarkollegiet.
NB! Claims must be made as soon as possible after the accident. However, the student must often pay the costs first and then request compensation. This is why original receipts must be appended to the claim.

Contact details "Student-UT"

Ann-Louise Ebérus, F613
Södertörn University
- Studentavdelningen -
Tel: +46 (0)8 608 4384
Fax: +46 (0)8 608 4015