Critical information seeking
The library's courses give students at Södertörn University (SH) or the Swedish Red Cross University College (RKH) the opportunity to develop their knowledge, skills and abilities to independently and critically search for, evaluate and use information on a scholarly level.
- The courses are free of charge and are aimed at subjects and programmes at SH and RKH.
- We prioritize long-term collaborations with subjects and programmes focusing on progression when it comes to information seeking.
- The library’s courses should be integrated into the subjects' course and programme syllabuses and scheduled at a time when the students have a writing assignment that is related to critical information seeking, for example essay writing.
- The course should be planned and evaluated by the librarian and the subject teacher together. We ask you to include a question about the course in the course evaluation.
- The course can, for example, consist of a workshop, seminar or lecture. When possible and necessary, we can offer a distance learning course.
- The course normally take place in the library when groups are a maximum of 20 students. With a larger group, a classroom will be booked and the subject or programme will then pay the room booking fee.
- Requests for our courses must be submitted before the deadline via the form below. In case of many requests, the principle of first-come-first-served is applied.
We provide students with tools and inspiration to make effective searches for information on a scholarly level. We customize the content based on the course's assignment and the students’ needs. Some topics that we can address:
- Scholarly articles and other genres.
- Relevant subject databases.
- Search strategies for finding research.
- Evaluation of texts and search tools.
- References and plagiarism.
Introduction to academic writing
In cooperation with the Study Support Unit and the Development Unit for University Teaching and Learning at SH, we participate in a project called "Introduction to academic writing" aimed at level A courses. Contact us for more information or request an introduction by submitting the form below.
Request a course
Here, teachers at SH or RKH may request a course in "Critical information seeking" or “Introduction to academic writing”. Submit the form below – we will get back to you as soon as possible.
The request for the autumn term semester 2020 is now closed.