Facebook Mail Twitter

Preparing to Move to Sweden: Things to Know

April is my magic month. It’s my birth month, and always that time of the year that attracts some sort of special favours to me. In Sweden, it’s even a standard, a special month for prospective students. Admission list is out, and scholarship results are all published this month. It’s time to move to Sweden; here are things to know.

Student läser på en surfplatta

The Swedish Migration Agency

This website, External link. will likely be your first friend in your journey to Sweden. This is where you get the authority to access Sweden; the only institution that can confirm that it is time for you to move to Sweden. After you have accepted your admission and processed the required documentation from the university, it is time to deal with Migrationsverket. Migrationsverket is the institution that considers all applications from people who want to study, visit, work or live in Sweden, or even become Swedish citizens. In your case, you should be looking at the “studying and researching in Sweden” section: External link. This is where you find all the information you may need to facilitate your progress. If you have questions, never fail to reach out to the university or directly to the migration agency. See my previous article on “Two Simple Steps to Applying for a Residence Permit for Studies in Sweden”: External link.

Living Expenses

This is the real mathematics. It starts even with your application at the Migration Agency. You need to calculate your expected living expenses in Sweden and ensure you have a set plan to comfortably settle in. Södertörn University recommends that International student have an average of SEK 10,000 per month for living expenses in the Stockholm area. Here is the breakdown:

Food: SEK 2,200

Accommodation: SEK 4,600

Local travel: SEK 640

Phone/internet: SEK 300

Study material: SEK 800

Hobby/leisure, miscellaneous: around SEK 1,500

Total: SEK 10,000

While citizens of the EU/EEA can freely live and study in Sweden without a residence permit or visa, it is important that finances are also planned out well. A planning average of SEK 10,000 per month is okay and applies to all students.


Having an insurance in Sweden is compulsory. Exchange students and fee-paying students are covered by a student insurance policy via Kammarkollegiet (Sweden’s Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency). This insurance provides coverage for disability and death benefits, medical and dental care, home transport, personal property coverage, third party liability, legal expenses. This is however, not the case with EU/EEA students. They are not covered by Kammarkollegiet when they are off campus and will need additional insurance to cover for hours outside the working hours of the university in addition to having their own home insurance. Learn more about insurance here: External link.

Bringing Your Family

Often, students do not move alone, they move with their spouse or children. Aside dealing successfully with the migration requirements, it is important to be well informed on the policies or systems that concerns your child. All over Sweden, there is childcare in all municipality. Childcare is the general name for the educational activities for younger children. The first thing to do is to contact the municipality office where you will be living. This also means that your municipality is decided by your registered residence address. Therefore, first concern should be getting an accommodation.

Informative blogs to check out:

5 Next Steps After Getting Admission External link.

Two simple steps to applying for a residence permit for studies in Sweden External link.

Two Cheapest and Safest Ways of Getting Accommodation in Stockholm External link.

5 Things to Do before Your Arrival Day to Stockholm External link.

First Week in Sweden: What to Expect External link.

15 Unique Discounts & Benefits Available to Students at Södertörn University External link.


Facebook Mail Twitter

Page updated