Foreign traineeships

Gain experience to benefit your future career by doing a traineeship abroad. You will have the chance to make contacts, improve your language skills, become familiar with a new culture and environment, all while adding to your CV.

As a student, you don’t only have the opportunity to study abroad, you can also do your traineeship in another European country.

You apply for your traineeship independently, and it must be relevant to your education at Södertörn University. Once you have found somewhere that will host your traineeship, you may apply for an Erasmus grant. After your traineeship you can apply to have it transferred as credits or recognised as a footnote in your degree certificate.

Who can apply for an Erasmus traineeship and receive a grant?

You can apply for traineeships at Bachelor’s and Master’s levels. Doctoral students may also apply for traineeships. To apply for and be awarded an Erasmus+ grant for a traineeship, you must:

  • Be registered and studying at Södertörn University when you apply.
  • Be studying with the intention of being awarded a degree from Södertörn University.
  • Find a traineeship within the EU that is valid under the Erasmus+ guidelines.
  • Do your traineeship full time for two to twelve months.
  • · Have your traineeship approved by your programme or subject coordinator in a Learning Agreement (LA).
  • Be prepared to draw up a contract for the Erasmus grant.
  • Have adequate language skills to satisfactorily complete the tasks/supervision on the traineeship.
  • Complete an online language test before the exchange.

Where can you do a traineeship?

You can do a traineeship in the 28 EU member states and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Turkey and Macedonia.

You cannot get an Erasmus+ grant if you want to do a traineeship at a European institution or an organisation that manages EU programmes. External link, opens in new window. has adverts for traineeships at companies and organisations in Europe. It is run by the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) organisation.


If your application is approved, you will receive an Erasmus grant. The size of the grant is calculated based on the exact number of days for your placement abroad and from the general cost of living in the country where you do your traineeship. The grant is a contribution for travel, accommodation and other costs that arise in association with your traineeship. It is not intended to cover all your costs.


host Country



Group 1, countries with high living costs:
Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Norway, (UK)



Group 2, countries with medium living costs:
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain

Group 3, countries with low living costs:
Bulgaria, Estonia, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Poland, Rumania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary



The grant is paid in two parts, with 70% paid at the start of the traineeship and remaining 30% once the traineeship is completed.

Applications for foreign traineeships have two steps.

Stage 1:

After you have found a traineeship, but no later than six weeks before it starts, you must send the following documents to the International Office via

Once your application is complete, an Erasmus officer will contact you with a decision within three weeks.

Stage 2:

Once your traineeship has been approved, you must do the following: