In case of illness or injury while studying

During your studies, there may be occasions when you are sick or have an accident. The information here tells you what you should do if you or your child falls ill, or you are injured in an accident.


If you have a Swedish personal ID number and are so ill you are unable to study, you must contact Försäkringskassan (Swedish Social Insurance Agency). You can register as ill from the first day. If you are ill for longer than 14 days, you must provide a doctor’s certificate with information about your illness or injury and take official sick leave. You should also talk to your academic school about your situation. More information is available on Försäkringskassan’s website, If you get sick - Försäkringskassan ( External link, opens in new window.

If you receive student finance and are put on sick leave, there are rules that can help provide extra security. For example, CSN can take account of your illness when assessing your study results. Read more at Sjuk - CSN External link, opens in new window. (in Swedish) or contact CSN via Contact us - CSN External link, opens in new window.

Caring for a sick child when receiving student finance

If you have student finance and are unable to study because you are taking care of a sick child, it is still possible to keep your grant and loan. It is important that you register your absence with CSN as soon as possible. Information about applicable rules when caring for a sick child and how to report it to CSN are available here: Vård av barn – VAB när du studerar med studiestöd - CSN External link, opens in new window. (in Swedish) or contact CSN via Contact us - CSN External link, opens in new window..


Students at publicly-funded higher education institutions are covered by personal injury insurance while at the university and on the way to and from it. This insurance is free for students. More information is available here: University students in Sweden - Kammarkollegiet External link, opens in new window..


In emergencies where life, health or property is at risk, call the emergency services on SOS alarm 112. They can connect to the rescue services, ambulance, police, poisons helpline, or Church of Sweden counselling services.

Medical helpline

English/Engelska - 1177 Vårdguiden External link, opens in new window. is the Swedish hub for healthcare information and services. They offer advice, information, inspiration and e-services all day, every day.

Student Wellbeing Centre

The Student Wellbeing Centre works to promote physical and psychosocial health throughout your studies and is a complement to other healthcare services. It has counsellors, psychologists, psychotherapists, doctors and nurses. For more information, please see Student Wellbeing Centre.


Email: (Swedish students, students at Swedish higher education institutions) (international students, incoming and outgoing students)