Studying abroad – Insurance

Här hittar du information om finansiering och försäkring under dina utbytesstudier.

Insurance – Student UT

Exchange students are covered by the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency’s group insurance, Student UT. Coverage is free and is valid from two weeks before your exchange until two weeks after it, 24 hours a day in your host country and during direct travel there and back. For the insurance to be valid, your exchange must be registered in Ladok. Please note that students who are going on traineeships/placements are not always covered by Student UT, and must take out separate insurance. For more information about this, please contact the International Office via

The insurance policy includes personal injury, medical and dental, liability, legal and emergency cover. You are responsible for reading the policy’s terms and conditions before leaving Sweden and deciding whether you need supplementary insurance. More information and the complete terms and conditions are available on the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency’s website. External link, opens in new window.

Note that Student UT is only valid in the country where you are on your exchange. If you are planning to travel to other countries in association with your exchange, you must have supplementary insurance.

If you would like a certificate proving you are insured via Student UT, please email your international officer with information about here you are going and the semester dates at your host university. The semester dates will be in your admission letter or the academic calendar on your host university’s website.

Please note that the higher education institution hosting your exchange can demand that you take out separate insurance cover via them. You must pay for this insurance yourself.

If a travel advisory is issued

Student UT insurance is not valid if the Ministry for Foreign Affairs advises against all travel to your host country. If the Ministry advises against travel to a specific area of a country, the insurance is not valid in that area. If you have started the exchange before a travel advisory is issued, the insurance is valid for a transitional period (max. 30 days), to give you time to leave the country.

European Health Insurance Card

Students on an exchange within the EU should order a European Health Insurance Card from Försäkringskassan, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency. The card entitles the holder to essential care at hospitals, medical and dental clinics which are linked to the country’s public healthcare system in an EU/EEA country or in Switzerland. The card means you pay the same fees as apply to citizens of that country. The card is free and can be ordered via Försäkringskassan’s website. If you do not have time to receive the card before leaving home, you are still covered by it.