Södertörn University will only provide refunds after an application for a refund has been received. Decisions about refunds are made by the director of Student Support Services. Money is always reimbursed to the same account from which the tuition fees were paid to Södertörn University.
Tuition fees are only refunded in the following circumstances:
- Denial of residence permit If you have paid your tuition fees but are then denied a residence permit in Sweden and thus cannot complete the admissions procedure.
- Change in migration status According to section five of the Swedish Ordinance on application fees and tuition fees for higher education, following a change in your migration status you should submit documents that support your request to be exempted from payment. Information is available at www.universityadmissions.se.
- Exceptional circumstances Only in specific and well-documented cases can refunds be granted for reasons other than a rejected application for a residence permit.
- Credit transfers If you are on a programme and have been allowed to transfer credits from courses at another higher education institution to your programme at Södertörn University, you should apply for the tuition fee refund before the end of the semester.
How to apply for a tuition fee refund
Reasons for refunds are rejected applications for residence permits and other barriers to starting to study that are outside your control. Only in specific and well-documented cases can refunds be granted for reasons other than a rejected application for a residence permit. A refund will only be made if it is transferred to the same account as that used to pay the tuition fee.
You must request the refund yourself and provide proof of your reasons. A refund will not be provided for the part of the course or programme that has already been studied. Here, 'studied' means the time that has elapsed when the your request for a refund was submitted, not your awarded credits. An application for a refund must be submitted to Södertörn University in the same semester that the course(s) or programme is offered. However, 31 December is the application deadline for the autumn semester.
Postal applications should be sent to:
Södertörn University, Central Records Office,
141 89 Huddinge.
Or by email to: email@example.com.
Applications must include:
- Your name and details about admission or registration on a course/programme and documentation that proves the tuition fees have been paid
- The reason why the course/programme cannot be completed and documentation that proves this (e.g. rejection letter from the Swedish Migration Agency)
- The form called “Refund of tuition fee to Swedish bank account”, with information about the account number and account holder, provided that the payment was made from a Swedish bank account. If the payment was made from a foreign bank account, no form is necessary.
An incomplete application must be completed within three weeks of this being requested by Södertörn University. If not, the application will be rejected as incomplete.