Welcome to Sweden

Are you a PhD candidate, researcher or lecturer on your way to Södertörn University for a shorter or a longer stay? Here you will find practical information regarding how to settle in your new country and navigate in the capital of Sweden.

We hope you will find these links helpful and are looking forward to welcoming you at Södertörn University.

Entry requirement /Visa

Bring a valid passport (non-Schengen area citizens) or national ID card (citizens from Schengen area). Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire – you cannot obtain a work/residence permit for longer than your passport's period of validity. This also applies to your family, if they accompany you.

Apply for a visa or a residence permit and a residence permit card at the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) or embassy, if you need one. EU citizens don’t need a residence or a work permit.

Personal number or coordination number

Personal identification number

If you move to Sweden Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster. and intend to live here for a year or more, you should normally register as a resident at the nearest office of the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). To obtain a unique 10-digit personal identification number, personnummer, you must personally visit the local tax office and complete a form concerning immigration to Sweden. A personal identity number is necessary if you would like to gain access to the Swedish health care system, make a telephone subscription, register for a driver’s licence, and so on.

Coordination number

If you receive a salary from Södertörn University, but intend to stay for less than a year and cannot obtain a personal number, you need to be registered for tax purposes Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.. You will get a coordination number, samordningsnummer, which is an identification number for persons who are not registered in the Swedish population register. If you work for less than six months your employer may apply for a special income tax decision on your behalf. If you stay in Sweden for at least six months, but less than a year, you have to apply for tax registration with the Swedish Tax Agency. Please note that a coordination number does not entitle you to any healthcare benefits connected to the personal identity number.

Finance and bank account

Residing for a year or longer: When you open a bank account in Sweden, you may receive an ATM card and link internet and telephone banking services to your account. Under anti-money laundering legislation, banks are required to stringently verify customer identity. See Becoming a bank customer Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster. of a Swedish bank. Bank offices are generally open Monday–Friday, 10 am–4 pm.

If you will reside in Sweden for only a short time (less than six months), it is normally easier to use your bank account and bank card from your home country. We strongly recommend that you bring a Visa or MasterCard to Sweden, as cards are widely used all over the country.

Södertörn University salaries and scholarships are paid through Danske Bank.

The cheapest way to pay bills is through the bank's payment services, which are also available online. You can pay bills over-the-counter at Forex bank Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster..


Södertörn University has a limited number of apartments on lease for incoming researchers and PhD candidates. Please be advised that you will need to contact our department at Södertörn University well in advance in order to know if you are eligible and secure a room.

Social Security and health care


If you are a doctoral student who is admitted to Södertörn University, you are covered by personal injury insurance Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster. (the general student insurance). This insurance applies during study hours and during travel to and from the location where study hours are spent. If you are a researcher, there is a similar insurance coverage that applies during travel to and from university premises and while on the Södertörn University campus.

In case of illness or accidents during leisure time, you are personally responsible for the full cost of medical treatment if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) or an EU Health Insurance Card Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster., se below.

It is strongly recommended that you purchase home insurance (hemförsäkring) for the duration of your stay in Sweden.

Health and medical care

In general

Drinking water Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.: the drinking water quality in Stockholm is of high and consistent quality, which means that you can drink it directly from the tap.

Healthcare advisory service

You can call the Healthcare Guide 1177 Vårdguiden Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster., phone 1177, for the addresses and telephone numbers of all public healthcare providers in the County of Stockholm. 1177 Vårdguiden also provides information and advice on illnesses and health, examinations, treatments and medication online. For healthcare advice in Arabic, call 0771-1177 90, for Somali 0771-1177 91. More information at Finding your way around the healthcare system Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.

Medical centres and local emergency units

If you fall ill or need medical advice, you should contact your local primary care medical centre (Vårdcentral Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.) or clinic (Husläkarmottagning). Primary care medical centres treat adults and children for illnesses and problems that are not urgent or life threatening. Doctors there can also refer you to a specialist if necessary.

Local emergency units (Närakut Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.) treat the same kind of illnesses and problems as local medical centres. These are open daily, but you should call before visiting.

Emergency care

If you suddenly become seriously ill or injured you should go to the accident and emergency clinic (akutmottagning Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.), at a hospital sjukhus. Call the emergency number 112.

Subsidised healthcare costs

If you are planning to stay in Sweden for at least one year, you must generally be entered into the Swedish population register. Once you are registered in Sweden (have received a personal identification number), you are entitled to healthcare under the same conditions as other residents of Sweden. This means that you pay the regular Swedish patient fee for medical care in the public healthcare system.

EU/EEA citizens without Swedish personal number are entitled to use public medical services on the same basis as Swedish citizens, provided they are covered by health insurance in their home country and can produce an EU Health Insurance card. Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.

Visiting doctoral students and researchers who have a residence permit for a period of less than one year will not be issued a personal identity number and will not be entitled to reduced costs. If this applies to you, we strongly advise you to obtain health insurance in your home country that is valid for your entire stay in Sweden. Please note that Sweden has reciprocal agreements on public medical benefits with Algeria, Australia and the province of Quebec for emergency care, as well as with Israel for delivery care.

A visit to a primary care physician costs 200 SEK, while a visit to a specialist will cost 350 SEK and hospital emergency clinics 400 SEK. These costs are subsidised by the Swedish state, the actual cost of a normal visit being 1,850–2,300 SEK. If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, personnummer, or an EU Health Insurance Card, you must pay the full cost yourself. More information about patient fees Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.


A doctor’s prescription is generally needed to obtain drugs at Swedish pharmacies, except for common over-the-counter medicines, like aspirin. At pharmacies you can obtain advice on treatment of minor illnesses such as headache, cold and cough, allergic reactions, fever and stomach problems. Pharmacies are generally open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The C.W. Scheele pharmacy at Klarabergsgatan 64 (metro T-Centralen/ commuter train station Stockholm City) is open around the clock. You can buy certain non-prescription drugs at grocery stores and other retail outlets.

Dental care

If you have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) and are registered at the Swedish Social Insurance Office, you are eligible for benefits on some dental care procedures. EU/EEA citizens are entitled to use the emergency dental care services on the same basis as Swedish citizens, provided they are covered by health insurance in their home country and can present an EU Health Insurance Card. Remember that the cost of dental care is not fixed, so you should always ask your dentist how much the treatment will cost before it starts. For an ordinary check-up, you can contact the Dental Public Service (Folktandvården Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.).

For information about your nearest clinic, phone 020-687 55 00, or visit the homepage Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.. Emergency dental care is available at Folktandvården Akuten Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster., Fleminggatan 48, phone 08-123 156 80.

Social security

The Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan Länk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.) is the authority responsible for social assistance in the form of parental benefits, child allowances, sickness benefits, and so on. To be covered by a social insurance benefit, you must either be resident in Sweden or be working here.


Facebook Mail Twitter

Sidan är uppdaterad