Finances & insurance

General information about finances and the cost of living while studying in Sweden

Cost of living

The following rough budget will give you an idea of the cost of living in Sweden as an international student.

Please note that non-EU and non-EEA students must apply for a residence permit before arriving in Sweden. International students studying in Sweden are required to have at least SEK 10,314 (or approximately EUR 900/USD 977) per month at their disposal.

Based on actual living expenses, we recommend that international students an average of SEK 11,000 per month for living expenses in the Stockholm area. A breakdown is shown below:

  • Food: SEK 2,700
  • Accommodation: SEK 5,000
  • Local travel: SEK 650
  • Phone/internet: SEK 300
  • Study material: SEK 800
  • Hobby/leisure, miscellaneous: around SEK 1,600

Total: SEK 11,000

The Swedish Migration Agency requires that you are able to prove you have guaranteed maintenance for the period for which you want a residence permit. This means that you must show that you have money available as your own bank assets, a grant or similar, such as a study grant from your country of origin. If you are going to study for one year or longer, you must show that your maintenance is secured for ten months of the year.

Citizens of EU/EEA and Nordic counties can live and study in Sweden without a residence permit or visa. However, you are advised to have sufficient funds at your disposal for living costs. If you stay in Sweden for more than twelve months, you should register with the Swedish Tax Agency.

Visit the Migration Agency’s website for more information. External link, opens in new window.

You may also be interested in checking the Study in Sweden page External link, opens in new get a better idea of how to plan a budget. You can also read blogs by other international students, sharing their experiences in terms of finance and expenses in Sweden.


Home insurance is compulsory. As a tenant, you are responsible for your accommodation and any damage caused to it, even if the damage is caused by a guest. You are responsible for compensation, whether the damage is the result of carelessness, an accident or a deliberate act.

Exchange students and fee-paying students are covered by a student insurance policy via Kammarkollegiet (Sweden’s Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency). This insurance provides coverage for the following:

  • disability and death benefits
  • medical and dental care
  • home transport
  • personal property coverage
  • third party liability
  • legal expenses

Free mover students from countries in the EU/EEA are not covered by Kammarkollegiet’s student insurance when they are not on campus and must purchase their own home insurance cover.

All European students must bring their European Health Insurance Card.

All students at Södertörn University are covered by insurance during working hours at the university and when commuting to and from it. You will need additional insurance cover during your free time.

Read more about the insurance policy here:

Fee-paying students External link, opens in new window.

Exchange students External link, opens in new window.

Other students

You are not covered by any insurance when you are not on campus, so please ensure that you have your own insurance cover!


Facebook Mail Twitter

Page updated