Welcome to Sweden

Are you a doctoral student, researcher or lecturer on your way to Södertörn University for a shorter or a longer stay? This page provides practical information about settling in and getting around the capital of Sweden.

We hope you will find these links helpful and are looking forward to welcoming you at Södertörn University.

Entry requirements/visa

You must bring a valid passport (non-Schengen area citizens) or national ID card (citizens from the Schengen area). Make sure you extend your passport if it will expire soon, because you cannot obtain a work/residence permit for longer than your passport's period of validity. This also applies to your family's passports, if they will accompany you.

Apply for a visa or a residence permit and a residence permit card at the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) or the Swedish embassy, if you need one. EU citizens do not need a residence or a work permit.

Personal identification number or coordination number

Personal identification number

If you move to Sweden External link, opens in new window. and intend to live here for a year or more, you should register as a resident at the nearest office of the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). To obtain a unique 10-digit personal identification number, a "personnummer", you must personally visit the local tax office and complete a form about immigration to Sweden. This number is essential for accessing the Swedish healthcare system, obtaining a telephone subscription, registering for a driver’s licence, and other administrative tasks.

Coordination number

If you will be employed by Södertörn University, but intend to stay in Sweden for less than a year and cannot obtain a personal number, you need to be registered for tax purposes External link, opens in new window.. You will get a coordination number, a "samordningsnummer". This is an identification number for people who are not registered in the Swedish population register. If you work for less than six months, your employer can apply for a special income tax decision on your behalf. If you will stay in Sweden for at least six months but less than a year, you must apply for tax registration with the Swedish Tax Agency. Please note that a coordination number does not entitle you to any healthcare benefits.

Finances and bank account

If you are resident for a year or longer, you can open a bank account in Sweden, get an ATM card, and link internet and telephone banking services to your account. This will enable you to set up a mobile bank ID to verify your identity. With a mobile bank ID you can download the Swish app, which offers a faster and more secure means of transferring or receiving money using your mobile phone number.

Due to anti-money laundering legislation, banks are required to stringently verify customer identity. See becoming a bank customer External link. at a Swedish bank.

Major Swedish banks:

If you will live in Sweden for a short period (less than a year), it is normally easier to use your bank account and bank card from your home country. We strongly recommend that you bring a Visa or MasterCard to Sweden, as these cards are widely used. Sweden is a nearly cashless society, so do not bring a large amount of cash with you.

Södertörn University salaries and scholarships are paid through Danske Bank.

The cheapest way to pay bills is through your bank's online payment services. You can pay bills over-the-counter at Forex bank External link., but there will be an additional administrative fee.


Södertörn University has a limited number of apartments on lease for incoming researchers and doctoral students. Please be aware that you will need to contact your department at Södertörn University well in advance to find out whether you are eligible for housing and please note that we do not provide housing for couples or families. For more information, please visit or contact

Social security and health care


If you are a doctoral student at Södertörn University, you are covered by personal injury insurance External link, opens in new window. (the general student insurance). This insurance applies during study hours and during travel to and from the location where study hours are spent. If you are a researcher, there is similar insurance coverage that applies during travel to and from university premises and while on the Södertörn University campus.

In case of illness or accidents outside work, you are personally responsible for the full cost of medical treatment if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) or an EU Health Insurance Card, see below.

It is strongly recommended that you purchase home insurance (hemförsäkring) for the duration of your stay in Sweden.

Health and medical care

In general

Drinking water External link, opens in new window.: the quality of drinking water in Stockholm is consistently high, which means it can be drunk straight from the tap.

Healthcare advisory service

You can call a public healthcare guide, 1177 Vårdguiden External link, opens in new window., phone 1177, for the addresses and telephone numbers of all public healthcare providers in the County of Stockholm. 1177 Vårdguiden also provides information and advice on illnesses and health, examinations, treatments and medication online. For healthcare advice in Arabic, call 0771-1177 90, for Somali 0771-1177 91. More information is available via finding your way around the healthcare system External link, opens in new window.

Medical centres and local emergency units

If you fall ill or need medical advice, you should contact your local primary care medical centre (vårdcentral External link, opens in new window.) or clinic (husläkarmottagning). Primary care medical centres treat adults and children for illnesses and problems that are not urgent or life threatening. Doctors there can also refer you to a specialist if necessary.

Local emergency units (närakut External link.) treat the same kind of illnesses and problems as local medical centres. These are open daily, but you should call before visiting.

Emergency care

If you suddenly become seriously ill or injured you should go to the accident and emergency clinic (akutmottagning External link, opens in new window.), at a hospital (sjukhus). Call the emergency number 112.

Subsidised healthcare costs

If you are planning to stay in Sweden for at least a year, you must generally be entered in the Swedish population register. Once you are registered in Sweden (have received a personal identification number), you are entitled to healthcare under the same conditions as other residents of Sweden. This means that you pay the normal Swedish patient fee for medical care in the public healthcare system.

EU/EEA citizens without a Swedish personal number are entitled to use public medical services on the same basis as Swedish citizens, provided they are covered by health insurance in their home country and can produce a EU Health Insurance card. External link, opens in new window.

Visiting doctoral students and researchers who have a residence permit for a period of less than one year will not be issued with a personal identity number and will not be entitled to reduced costs. If this applies to you, we strongly advise that you obtain health insurance in your home country that is valid for your entire stay in Sweden. Please note that Sweden has reciprocal agreements on public medical benefits with Algeria, Australia and the province of Quebec for emergency care, as well as with Israel for delivery care.

A visit to a primary care doctor or a specialist will cost SEK 275, and hospital emergency clinics cost SEK 400. These costs are subsidised by the Swedish state, as the actual cost of a normal visit is SEK 3,800 - 6000. If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, personnummer, or an EU Health Insurance Card, you must pay the full cost yourself. More information about patient fees is available here. External link, opens in new window.


A doctor’s prescription is generally needed to obtain medicine from Swedish pharmacies, apart from common over-the-counter medicines, such as aspirin. Pharmacies offer advice on how to treat minor illnesses such as headaches, colds and coughs, allergies, fevers and stomach problems. Pharmacies are generally open Monday to Friday, 10.00 to 18.00 and Saturdays 10.00 to 16.00. The C.W. Scheele pharmacy at Klarabergsgatan 64 External link. (metro T-Centralen/ commuter train station Stockholm City) is open around the clock. Some non-prescription medicines can be bought from supermarkets and other retail outlets.

Dental care

If you have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) and are registered with the Swedish Social Insurance Office, you are eligible for benefits on some dental care procedures. EU/EEA citizens are entitled to use the emergency dental care services on the same basis as Swedish citizens, provided they are covered by health insurance in their home country and can present an EU Health Insurance Card. Remember that the cost of dental care is not fixed, so you should always ask your dentist how much the treatment will cost before it starts. For an ordinary check-up, you can contact the Dental Public Service (Folktandvården External link, opens in new window.).

For information about your nearest clinic, phone 020-687 55 00, or visit the website External link, opens in new window.. Emergency dental care is available at Folktandvården Akuten External link., Fleminggatan 48, phone +46 (0)8 123 156 80.

Social security

The Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan External link, opens in new window.) is the agency responsible for social assistance in the form of parental benefits, child allowances, sickness benefits, and so on. To receive social insurance benefits, you must either be resident in Sweden or be working here.


Stockholms Lokaltrafik (SL) is responsible for buses, underground trains, commuter trains, trams and some ferry routes. The underground trains (Tunnelbana) are often the easiest and fastest way to commute within Stockholm city. Tickets can be purchased via SL app, the Kiosk (Pressbyrån) or the SL Centres. You cannot buy the ticket on buses in Stockholm. Failure to show a valid ticket will result in a penalty fee of SEK 1,500 (around EUR 130 or USD 142). Adult full-time students carrying a valid student ID with a SL logo can purchase SL tickets at a discount fare. If you do not have a valid student ID, you must pay the adult fare or risk a penalty fee.

Stockholm Academic Forum and the Stockholm Dual Career Network

International doctoral students and staff at Södertörn University can also access the services provided by Stockholm Academic Forum External link, opens in new window. and the Stockholm Dual Career Network. External link, opens in new window.


Facebook Mail Twitter

Page updated